The Department of Mental Health initially was part of the Department of Medicine but was formerly established as a Department in 1983 with Prof O. Morakinyo as the pioneer Head of the Department.
The focal points of the Department were to meet the manpower needs and provide knowledge-based solutions to the challenges facing the mental health sub-sector of our health care system as well as that of the society at large.
Goals and Objectives of the Department
- The training of medical students as part of their general medical training programme to become qualified medical doctors.
- To train postgraduate students for the award of postgraduate degrees in Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology.
- To train middle level professionals in Mental Health in collaboration with West African College Physicians. This leads to the award of postgraduate Diploma in Mental Health.
- The delivery of Mental Health care to the community
- Training of Resident Doctors in conjunction with the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria and the West African College of Physicians
- Research into various aspects of Mental Health problems and related areas and research into Mental Health care delivery using modern scientific techniques